Stop Killing Games Disowns the GTA 6 Leaker It Was Being Compared To

The group whose language the GTA 6 leaker borrowed just publicly cut ties with it. Days after Cyberleek's gameplay leak was confirmed genuine, the group published a manifesto echoing the game-preservation movement Stop Killing Games. On August 19, Stop Killing Games responded directly, condemning Cyberleek's methods and urging fans not to send it money — a clear line drawn between a real consumer-advocacy campaign and a leaker using similar language for very different ends.

What Stop Killing Games Actually Said

In a statement posted to X and Reddit, Stop Killing Games acknowledged that the leaked GTA 6 footage appears genuine, pointing to how quickly Take-Two Interactive moved to file DMCA takedowns as evidence of authenticity. But the movement was blunt about where it stands on the people behind it: "Using illegal means to make a point is unacceptable to us and does nothing to protect our right to keep using what we paid for," the statement read, adding that the leak primarily hurts "thousands of developers who worked hard on this project," not the executives Cyberleek claims to be targeting.

Notably, Stop Killing Games deliberately avoided naming Cyberleek directly in its statement, saying it didn't want to give the group additional attention or amplification.

Why Cyberleek's Manifesto Borrowed SKG's Playbook

Stop Killing Games is a real, long-running consumer movement, founded by YouTuber Ross Scott after Ubisoft shut down The Crew's servers in 2024, leaving paying customers with an unplayable game. It has since built a petition that gathered more than a million signatures and pushed the issue in front of European lawmakers, campaigning for legal protections that keep purchased games usable once a publisher's servers go dark.

When Cyberleek published its own manifesto alongside the leaked GTA 6 footage, it leaned on strikingly similar language. The document lists three "commandments" it wants Rockstar and the wider industry to follow:

That third demand is close to word-for-word Stop Killing Games' central campaign goal, which is almost certainly why Cyberleek's manifesto got associated with the movement in the first place. The overlap frustrated Stop Killing Games precisely because the two things aren't the same: one is a years-long legal and legislative campaign, the other is an anonymous leak of unreleased footage tied to a specific set of threats.

The Memecoin Problem

Stop Killing Games' statement singled out one detail as disqualifying: the leaked clips and Cyberleek's own website carry QR codes and links promoting a cryptocurrency token. "Do not send these people your money, no matter how much sympathy you may feel for their actions," the movement wrote, framing the crypto promotion as evidence that the leak isn't purely the consumer-rights protest it claims to be.

Cyberleek has separately said it's raising funds toward an unspecified "secret project" and has warned that other publishers could become targets if they don't ship games on physical discs. Rockstar has not commented on any of that — the studio's only public response to the leak so far has been a wave of copyright takedowns, not a statement.

A Precedent Everyone Remembers

Stop Killing Games' statement also pointed back to 2022, when a teenager broke into Rockstar's systems and leaked more than 90 early GTA 6 development videos. That individual, Arion Kurtaj, received an indefinite hospital order and is now in prison awaiting a November retrial. The movement's message was implicit but clear: whoever is behind Cyberleek is likely to face the same level of pursuit from Rockstar, Take-Two, and law enforcement, regardless of how the leak is framed publicly.

The Physical Media Debate Underneath All of This

Cyberleek's grievances aren't invented from nothing. Rockstar has confirmed it has no plans to sell a playable disc version of GTA 6 — the boxed edition will reportedly ship with a code inside rather than the game itself, similar to how many current-generation physical releases already work. That decision has fed into a broader, ongoing conversation across the games industry about digital ownership: what happens to a "purchased" game when a publisher eventually shuts down the servers it depends on, and whether a code in a box counts as owning a game at all.

Stop Killing Games has spent roughly two years building a legitimate campaign around exactly that question, gathering signatures, meeting with lawmakers, and pushing for legal requirements that publishers leave single-player games in a playable state after official support ends. Its statement made a point of separating that long-term, legal effort from what Cyberleek is doing with GTA 6, arguing that stolen footage and crypto promotion do nothing to advance the actual cause — and may make the argument harder to take seriously in front of regulators and the public.

How the Gaming Community Has Responded

Reaction to Stop Killing Games' statement has been mixed rather than universally supportive. Some replies to the movement's post agreed that attaching a memecoin to a leak undercuts any consumer-rights framing. Others pushed back, arguing that Cyberleek's underlying complaints about digital pre-orders and disappearing physical media are valid regardless of who is making them or how. That split reflects a wider tension already visible around GTA 6's marketing: frustration over pricing and physical editions is real and predates this leak, even if few in the community are willing to defend the leaker's specific methods.

What This Means Nine Days Before Netflix

The practical effect of Stop Killing Games' statement is that Cyberleek now has support from almost nobody with real standing. Rockstar is ignoring it publicly while pursuing takedowns privately, major streamers have avoided the footage, and the one advocacy group whose cause it tried to attach itself to has now explicitly rejected the comparison. The underlying preservation debate Stop Killing Games cares about — physical media, offline playability, digital ownership — continues through petitions and legislative channels, separate from anything Cyberleek does next.

For Rockstar, the timing remains the most awkward part of this story. Grand Theft Auto VI: An Extended Look was always going to be the studio's moment to control the narrative around the game ahead of launch. Instead, it now arrives after weeks of unauthorized footage, competing manifestos, and a public spat between a leaker and the movement it tried to borrow credibility from — noise Rockstar didn't create and hasn't addressed, but will still have to compete with on August 27.

None of this changes what GTA6ERA readers actually need to know: GTA 6 remains on track for November 19, 2026 on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, and the first authoritative look at the finished game is still Grand Theft Auto VI: An Extended Look, premiering on Netflix on August 27. Anyone weighing a purchase can check our pre-order guide for what's confirmed about editions and pricing so far. Our countdown timer and news feed will track anything official Rockstar or Take-Two say next.

News Leak Community